logo
ADVERTISEMENT

IPOA blames police for death of aristocrat's son

The Briton had been arrested in connection with drug abuse

image
by BY MALEMBA MKONGO malemba_mkongo

News21 January 2020 - 13:05
ADVERTISEMENT

In Summary


• Monson, the son of Lord Nicholas Monson, died in Diani where he had been visiting his mother.

• His health deteriorated before dawn but the police did not bother to take him to hospital

 

The May 19, 2012, death of a Briton in the South Coast has been blamed on police negligence and casual treatment.

Alexander Monsoon, the son of Lord Nicholas Monson, died at Diani Police Station where he was taken after his arrest in connection with drug abuse.

IPOA's head of investigation Jeremiah  Arodi said the police on duty ought to have taken Monson to the hospital on noticing that his health was deteriorating.

The investigator said the Briton fell sick in the wee hours of the night he died.

"After interrogating witnesses who included Monson's cellmates I learnt that the deceased became sick at 3am," Arodi said.

The detainees said Monson was fine at the time he was brought to the cells.

Arodi said Monson's health condition was reported to the OCS who did not respond, according to junior officers. They said they could not take him to hospital without the OCS's permission.

However, the OCS denied that he said he was informed of the suspect's condition although he was at the station.

Arodi said the OCS  got to know about the matter later in the morning. Help for Monson came too late from his family and friends who arrived in an ambulance at  10.45am and rushed him to Palm Beach Hospital.

"The blame goes to police officers with who Monson was under custody. The police were responsible for the wellbeing of the deceased while under their custody, but they failed in their mandate and duties," he said.

Arodi was the last witness to testify in a case in which four police officers are charged with the death of Monson.

Naftali Chege, Ismael Baraka, Charles Munyiri and John Pamba are accused of the offence on May 19, 2012.

ADVERTISEMENT

logo© The Star 2024. All rights reserved