logo
ADVERTISEMENT

Murkomen declares war on emerging criminal gangs

Murkomen said 120 suspected members of Mombasa's Panga Boys have so far been arrested.

image
by Allan Kisia

News02 April 2025 - 21:30
ADVERTISEMENT

In Summary


  • Murkomen said changes in police leadership are among the measures being implemented to enhance security in the Coast region.
  • Police in the Kwale county recently mounted an operation that led to the arrest of 120 suspected machete- wielding gang members.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen when he appeared before Plenary of the National Assembly on April 2, 2025.

Police are under firm instructions to rein in on emerging criminal gangs in parts of the country.

While responding to questions from MPs Wednesday when he appeared in the National Assembly, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen highlighted a rise of gangs in certain parts of the country.

The CS nonetheless said the government was committed to addressing the menace.

He commended the good work that has been done by Operation Maliza Usalama (OMU) multiagency security team deployed in North Rift region to flush out bandits and deal with emerging crimes.

“Gang-related problems, particularly in Mombasa, where the Panga Boys gang is active, and in Nakuru and Kisii, where the Chinkororo gangs pose a concern. So far, the National Police Service has made several arrests, including 120 members of the Panga Boys gang in Mombasa,” he stated.

“As part of our efforts in addressing insecurity concerns, I will next week tour the six counties of the Coast region where I will meet security agents, administrative officers, political leaders and residents….”

The CS also announced that changes in police leadership are among the measures being implemented to enhance security in the Coast region.

“The government is doing everything possible to ensure that the region is fully secure, even for tourists….”

Police in the Kwale county recently mounted an operation that led to the arrest of 120 suspected machete- wielding gang members.

On April 1, fifty one suspected Panga Boys members were arrested in Kisauni in an ongoing multiagency operation to rid the Coast region of the criminal gangs.

A multiagency operation was conducted in Kisauni subcounty, targeting the neighborhoods of Corner Ya Kisauni, Jocham Hospital, Barisheba, Sunlight, Mwandoni, Junda, Cobra and Kadongo grounds.

During the operation, officers recovered five tuk-tuks believed to be used in phone snatching crimes.

The suspects are in custody at Mjambere police station, where they are undergoing processing ahead of their court appearance.

Msambweni Subcounty Police Commander Robinson Lang'at said the operation will continue to target and dismantle the gang members. 

Lang'at further advised beach goers to vacate the beaches by 6pm as part of efforts to deal with the menace. 

Related Articles

ADVERTISEMENT

logo© The Star 2024. All rights reserved