logo
ADVERTISEMENT

My record speaks for itself, Muturi on Ruto’s incompetence remarks

Muturi was dismissed from his Cabinet position a few days ago.

image
by BRIAN ORUTA

Realtime04 April 2025 - 09:14
ADVERTISEMENT

In Summary


  • According to Muturi, the records speak contrary to allegations indicating that he was 'incompetent'.
  • His remarks come a few days after President William Ruto said that he was incompetent while he served in the state law office.
Former Public Service CS Justin Muturi speaking during a press briefing on why he was dismissed at Ufangamano house, Nairobi on April 2, 2025/LEAH MUKANGAI

Former Cabinet Secretary for Public Service Justin Muturi has defended his record for the time he served as Attorney General.

According to Muturi, the records speak contrary to allegations indicating that he was 'incompetent'.

His remarks come a few days after President William Ruto said that he was incompetent while he served in the state law office.

The former AG said one of the key things he delivered on was making the state law office independent, a promise they made to the people of Kenya during campaigns.

Muturi, who spoke on Nation FM, Friday, said the President’s intention when he made the remarks was to distract him for bringing up the issue of abductions and extrajudicial killings in the country.

“He referred to the issue of incompetence with regard to my duties as AG. I have said I believe the President's intention in making that accusation is to divert me from pursuing this issue of abductions and extrajudicial killings because he wants me to begin defending myself so it becomes a back and forth between him and I.

“I don’t have to defend myself about that, the record is there for everybody to see. When I got there we had committed ourselves in the manifesto that we will make the office of the state law independent. I went there, and I did exactly that with the concurrence of parliament,” Muturi said.

Speaking at State House during an Iftar dinner for Muslim leaders, Ruto accused Muturi of delaying the rollout of the Muslim Endowment Fund (Waqf) that had been proposed by Muslim leaders.

"I agree with you that the Muslim Endowment Fund has taken too long. There is no reason. I had a problem with the AG who was there; he was fairly incompetent, but we now have a competent lady, and I can assure you that the issue will be sorted out," Ruto stated.

Ruto’s remarks were in response to concerns raised by Muslim leaders who had attended the state Iftar dinner over delays in operationalising the endowment fund despite an existing Act (Waqf Act, 2022).

Muturi, in a swift rejoinder to the remarks, however, said that while the act exists, it does not provide for the creation of a Muslim Endowment Fund.

He insisted that it is a personal initiative by any individual who professes Islam.

“Under the Waqf Act no.8 of 2022, there’s no provision for a Muslim Endowment Fund. It must be understood that a Waqf is a religious, charitable or benevolent endowment by a person who professes the Muslim faith and is managed by the Waqf Commission,” the former AG said.

Related Articles

ADVERTISEMENT

logo© The Star 2024. All rights reserved