Kenyans have raised pertinent questions after the first case of COVID-19 was confirmed on Friday.
This was after a 27-year-old woman, a Kenyan, landed in the county on March 5 from London.
The woman fell ill and went to the hospital, where she tested positive for coronavirus.
But then it is not clear where this woman has been from March 5 to March 13, when she was quarantined at Mbagathi Hospital.
In these eight days, she might have boarded a plane and taken a taxi from the JKIA to her location. She might have visited the store to buy items and interacted with several people.
Also, what about her family and friends? Are they safe? What if it is not a solo case?
These are some of the questions that Kenyans are raising after Health CS Mutahi Kagwe announced the case.
The husband , kids , her chama people her whole circle is forked up. And now we are in the mix. Because the network is so intricate
— Your Father. (@abuya_henry) March 13, 2020
Kenya’s case is unique from the rest of Africa’s cases in that this lady is a Kenyan and has interacted with many friends n relatives since 5th who’ve interacted with many others, while in other Africa cases it was tourists intercepted before further spread #coronavirusinKenya
— Bel Akinyi (@BelAkinyii) March 13, 2020
8 fucking days since she arrived, who knows how many were that plane? , how many has she socialize with? Was it a must they fly in? And before that the Kenyan government had already ban flying in and out of the country, so who is playing who here?😏 #coronavirusinKenya pic.twitter.com/8S5Af41WpP
— KIBE HUM (@kibe_hum) March 13, 2020
Speaking to the media, Kagwe said the patient is stable and eating.
"...she will not be released from hospital until she is confirmed negative," he said.
The government said it had traced all the people the patient came into contact with since her arrival.
"We have done all the contact tracing and have all the names including the people who sat next to her on the flights she took," he said.
The government has also suspended all visits to prison for the next 30 days.
All the public transport providers have been directed to provide hand sanitisers.