
Emotions ran high as the Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) fraternity alongside family, friends, and colleagues, gathered at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to receive the body of the late Major Paul Njoroge Ndung’u.
Major Ndungu was killed on March 28, 2025, while serving with
the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilisation Mission in the
Central African Republic (MINUSCA).
He was fatally wounded during an ambush by armed
militants while on patrol in the Zemio region.
The KDF team was led by the General Officer Commanding
Eastern Command, Maj Gen Luka Kutto who described him as a gallant officer who
made the ultimate sacrifice in service to his nation and to peace.
His body was taken to the Mashujaa Farewell Home as burial arrangements commence.
“The KDF fraternity, the fallen officer’s family and the
nation at large mourn the loss of a dedicated soldier whose unwavering
commitment to peace and service will forever be remembered,” a statement said.
A statement from the UN Spokesperson’s office on behalf
of António Guterres said the peacekeeper had been killed by so-far unknown
assailants when his unit was on a long-range patrol near the village of Tabane
in the Haut-Mbomou prefecture, in the southeast of the country.
“The Secretary-General expresses his deepest
condolences to the family of the fallen peacekeeper and to the Government and
the people of Kenya,” the statement said.
“The Secretary-General recalls that attacks targeting
United Nations peacekeepers may constitute war crimes under international law.
He calls on the Central African authorities to spare no effort in identifying
the perpetrators of this tragedy so that they can be brought to justice
swiftly.”
The Central African Republic, or CAR, has
been in a state of internal conflict along sectarian lines since 2012 when
predominantly Muslim militia began battling mostly Christian anti-Balaka
militia, resulting in thousands of deaths and leaving many more dependent on
aid.
In 2013, armed groups seized the capital, forcing President François Bozizé to flee.
After a brief period of reduced
violence in 2015 and elections held in 2016, fighting intensified.
Peace talks got underway in early 2019 under the
auspices of the African Initiative for Peace and Reconciliation in CAR, led by
the African Union (AU) with UN support.
A deal was agreed in Khartoum and formally signed in
CAR’s capital, Bangui.
The
Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for the Central
African Republic and Head of Multidimensional Integrated Stabilisation
Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA), Valentine
Rugwabiza, strongly condemned the ambush carried out against a MINUSCA Force
patrol near the village of Tabane, 24 km northwest of Zemio, in the Haut-Mbomou
prefecture.
“A Kenyan peacekeeper was killed in this
extremely violent attack perpetrated by unidentified armed elements,” a
statement said.
“The Special Representative is extremely
shocked by this heinous attack on peacekeepers whose mission is to protect
civilians. She extends her deepest condolences to the Government and people of
Kenya and expresses her full sympathy to the victim's family.”
A rapid intervention team has been deployed
to the site of the incident to secure the area.
Rugwabiza reaffirmed that such cowardly attacks against the Mission's peacekeepers will not diminish MINUSCA's determination to carry out its mandate in service of peace and stability in the Central African Republic.
The UN Security Council in a statement on Sunday
condemned the attack in CAR, reiterating that attacks against peacekeepers may
constitute war crimes, and reminding all parties of their obligations under
international humanitarian law.
Ambassadors called on the government to
"swiftly investigate this attack with the support of MINUSCA, promote
accountability for such acts by bringing perpetrators to justice, and keep the
relevant troop-contributing country informed of the progress consistent with
Security Council resolutions 2518 (2020) and 2589 (2021).
Council members stressed that any involvement in
planning, directing, sponsoring or conducting attacks against peacekeepers
constitutes a basis for possible sanctions.
"The members of the Security Council
expressed particular concern about reports of illicit transnational trafficking
networks which continue to fund and supply armed groups in the Central
African Republic. They stressed the need to further investigate and combat this
threat."
Ambassadors reiterated their strong support for Special Representative Rugwabiza and for MINUSCA, to assist the Government and people of CAR in their efforts to bring lasting peace and stability.