
Gunmen shot and killed a herder while two others sustained injuries in Suguta Marmar, Samburu county, police have said. The victims were taking care of livestock when the gang struck in Nonyo Mpoya village at the weekend.
Jumberia Lesaigor, 35, succumbed to bullet injuries while the injured have been admitted to hospital. The gang stole an unknown number of livestock.
Last week, gunmen engaged police officers in a gunfight as they attacked a group of Samburu leaders in a convoy.
The group, including Samburu Senator Steve Lelegwe, Woman Representative Pauline Lenguris, Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital CEO Richard Lesiyampe and MCA Felix Lenamparasio, was from a funeral when it came under attack on the morning of March 23.
They had visited Pura, Ikeek Sapuki and Kutari in Malaso division to condole with bereaved families following recent banditry attacks.
Police said at Ikeek Sapuki, while headed back to Maralal, the convoy was shot at by gunmen who were lying in wait, prompting an exchange of fire.
Officers backed by local National Police Reservists responded and repulsed the bandits. No injuries were reported as the gunmen escaped towards Malaso valley.
At Archers Post, a gang shot and killed a 17-year-old boy after stealing livestock from Meru. Police were tracking the animals when the gunmen opened fire to repulse them in Lalkarkar.
The attackers escaped with an unknown number of animals. Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen declared a full-scale security operation in Mukokodo Forest to flush out bandits in Laikipia County.
“We still have a problem in Mukokodo Forest, parts of Samburu East and Maralal. We are enhancing our operations to restore peace. We are carrying out one-off operation to flush out the criminals,” he said.
Murkomen also announced the establishment of a new police command, the second Operation Maliza Uhalifu in the county.
“We are separating command centres. We are setting a new command centre at Kirimo which will complement Chemalingot base in Operation Maliza Uhalifu.”
According to the CS, OMU Two will have its command centre in Kirimon in Laikipia and is tasked to deal with the emerging crimes in troubled areas and restore peace and normalcy.
The new operation will cover Samburu, Laikipia, Isiolo and parts of Meru counties. This is a joint exercise between the National Police Service and the Kenya Defence Forces, targeting the North Rift counties of Turkana, West Pokot, Baringo, Laikipia, Samburu and Elgeyo-Marakwet.
They will work closely with the National Government Administration Officers, NPRs and rangers. He further put on notice politicians aiding banditry and fuelling insecurity in Kerio Valley, warning that they will face the full force of the law.
NPRs and rangers are not answerable to politicians, he said, adding that they should not be turned into their personal militias.
The CS made the announcement at a security meeting at Kirimon National Youth Service training camp. The new base will complement the Chemolingot command base in Operation Maliza Uhalifu in Kerio Valley.
The first OMU command centre, at Chemolingot, Tiaty, in Baringo county, aimed at eliminating banditry activities in the North Rift.
Murkomen said the operation will incorporate use of technology and the ministry is in the process of acquiring modern advanced equipment with more endurance and capabilities.
“We are also investing in aerial surveillance technology, night vision equipment, offensive and protective equipment,” the CS said.
“Operation Maliza Uhalifu has done tremendous work and commendable progress. Peace and normalcy have been restored in many areas and economic activities have resumed.”
Murkomen said the government is committed to restoring peace in areas that still remain problematic.
“There is one area that is disturbed in Baringo county that we are dealing with and already stolen livestock has been recovered,” Murkomen said.
“Children are going back to school
and locals are going about their
business except the one disturbed
area that our security agencies are
pacifying.”