
Seven suspects accused of assaulting a woman during a burial in Nyamira have been charged with torture.
Dismark Ondieki, Lameck Ogindi, Jones Manyancha, Elijah Kinairo, Zacharia Nyariki, Robert Makori and Martin Obino were charged with locking up, roughing up, and torturing Mellen Moraa contrary to section 4 (a) subsection 2 and section 5 (1) of the prevention of torture Act of 2017.
The suspects who were charged alongside others not before the court denied the charges before Nyamira Chief Magistrate Benrad Ondego.
They were accused of forcing Moraa to participate in the Abagusii cultural rites of burial that required her to pour a handful of soil into the grave of her estranged husband Joseph Osoro.
The incident happened in March, 2025 in Nyabisimba village in Nyamira county, sparking national outrage.
Moraa said the suspects also forced her into a room and locked her up together with the body for hours as part of the rites.
Among those who condemned the incident are women lawmakers who held a press conference at Parliament buildings. They described the incident as archaic and retrogressive.
The legislators, including nominated senators Veronica Maina, Catherine Mumma, Karen Nyamu, Hamida Kibwana and Women Representatives Doris Donya (Kisii) and Betty Maina (Kirinyaga) questioned the violence.
A video clip showing some of the suspects violently attacking Moraa went viral on social media provoking outcry among Kenyans.
“It is quite unfortunate that a rowdy group of adult men, in a most detestable, uncivilised, barbaric, form of gender violence attacked her purporting to implement some retrogressive and uncouth cultural practice,” the MPs said.
On Thursday, prosecution counsel David Mwangi said the suspects severely assaulted and intentionally tortured Moraa.
They forced her to pour a handful of soil to the grave after the casket carrying the body of her husband had been lowered to the grave.
Mwangi asked the court to remand the suspects to prevent them from interfering with investigations and tampering with evidence.
But that application was vehemently opposed by defence lawyers. The magistrate in the end said the suspects had a right to be granted bail or bond.
He released them on a bond of Sh100,000 with a surety of similar amount each with an alternative cash bail of Sh50,000 each. The case will be mentioned on April 23.