
The proprietors of a city cosmetic clinic are expected in court today to plead to manslaughter charges following the death of a patient at the facility.
The owners of the clinic will appear before Kibera Senior Principal Magistrate Samson Temu.
The charges stem from allegations of a botched cosmetic surgery linked to the death of a businesswoman.
She died in October last year from complications from a surgical procedure.
After investigations, the Director of Public Prosecutions preferred criminal charges against the suspects. When parties appeared before the magistrate’s court in Kibera on Tuesday.
Lawyer Danstan Omari representing the suspects said his clients had been served late. The suspects had secured anticipatory bail from the High Court stopping their arrest.
“We are asking that plea-taking be deferred to Thursday when my client’s will be able to appear in court,” Omari said.
Omari said they had moved to the High Court to challenge their prosecution and that the court ought to await the directions from the superior court.
His application was however opposed by both the prosecution and lawyers representing the victim’s family.
The prosecution said all the suspects were served with notice to appear in court for the plea-taking. The state asked the court to issue warrants of arrests against the suspects.
The DPP also said the High Court had not stopped the proceedings hence no need to wait for its directions.
The magistrate in the end directed that the suspects appear before him today at 9 am for further directions.